Friday, August 5, 2011

To Hinsch's




















I only stopped in for coffee, but you have to get more than that really, especially if you want to take photographs, so I went for a dish of peach ice-cream. The manageress (?) was very friendly, & told me to come back to be introduced to some of the older customers. Well, most of the customers were on the elderly side, and the manageress herself was semi-retired. The place was pretty busy for late lunchtime. The seats at the counter were mostly empty, but there was a steady crowd shuffling in and out from the back.

Hinsch's has been in business since 1949, and is a Bay Ridge institution. The place is perfectly preserved, and the staff are welcoming. There's a good bit of kidding around. A girl popped in while I was there, for a quick chat with her mother, a stoutish red-headed waitress, who popped her a kiss before she left and told her to be good.


Hinsch's is at Fifth Avenue and 86th St., one block over from the 86th St. R train stop on Fourth.

5 comments:

Marty Wombacher said...

That looks like a great place. Love the signage shots and the long shot of the stools.

Ken Mac said...

fantastic post! Can you post more detail on the subway stop and directions?

onemorefoldedsunset said...

Thanks! Ken Mac, I've added the info at the end of the post. Sorry I missed it out earlier.

Lindsay said...

This place looks amazing!! I have to go here now haha! Beautiful photos!!

Fringarde said...

Back when I lived in Brooklyn in the mid eighties, I remember walking south on Fifth Avenue until I hit the yummy food shops. But I know I never made it that far south, that's "Saturday Night Fever" terrain, isn't it?